Pole Jams By Kyle Leeper
1. First find a pole that’s not too steep-the steeper it is, the harder it’s going to be to grind up it.
2. The first time you try this it might be a little scary, so start by grinding up about halfway, then jump off to the side.
3. Now that you’ve got a feel for how this works, here’s what you need to know to pull off the trick: You don’t want to go too fast or you’ll just hit the pole and stop. Approach the pole with medium speed.
4. Set your feet in an ollie position, lift up the nose of your board, and ride your front truck on the pole. Now shoot your momentum straight over the top of the pole by throwing your arms up in the air-the rest of your body will follow. Suck up your legs and absorb the impact.
5. Grind straight up the pole and not off to the side, because you might zing out. Don’t get scared and let it get to you-part of learning a new trick is overcoming the fear.
6. Once you’ve grinded to the top, you’ve got it made-maybe you’ll land sketchy or one-footed, but don’t stop until you do it every try. Remember to have fun with it, and make up some new variations of your own.
7. There you have it-that’s how you do a pole jam. For a good visual, check out my pole jam trick tip in the new TWS video Show Me The Way. Good luck!-Kyle Leeper