NINE DAYS AND COUNTING UNTIL
THE 5th INTERNATIONAL GO SKATEBOARDING DAY
Hundreds-of-Thousands-of Skateboarders Expected to Participate on June 21, 2008
Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif., June 12, 2008 – With less than ten days to go, skateboarders from around the world are getting ready to take it to the streets for the 5th Annual International Go Skateboarding Day (GSD). Events are popping up all around the United States, from free griptape giveaways to contests and demos at some of the biggest skate parks in America featuring appearances by some of the most well known names in skateboarding.
“We’re happy to see our core retailers and so many others in the skateboard industry have come together to get involved with GSD. Everyone planned some really epic events to get as many riders as possible to skateboard and celebrate on the first day of summer and also to make this year’s GSD the most memorable year to date,” said John Bernards, executive director of IASC and GSD spokesperson. “On behalf of everyone here at IASC, we wish everyone a fun and safe holiday!”
Where are the pros?
Rob Dyrdek will be appearing at his DC/Alien Workshop Skate Plaza at Indian Riffle Park in Kettering, OH along with Steve Berra, Josh Kalis, Arto Saari and others ci.kettering.oh.us. Willy Santos will be hosting Willy’s Workshop at the Mira Mesa Epicenter in San Diego, Calif. willysantos.com Rodney Mullen, Mark Appleyard, Chris Haslam, Chet Thomas and others will be in attendance at the Dwindle/Transworld event in Venice, Calif. almostawebsite.com
What to do:
Here are some events across the U.S. that you can attend to support GSD:
• Fairfax Surf Shop and the City of Fairfax are hosting “SkateFest Fairfax” on June 20-21 at the Van Dyck Skatepark in Fairfax, VA. Proceeds will benefit the National Children’s Hospital Foundation. skatefestfairfax.com
• Vans is hosting “Big Riggin 2008” at Viera Regional Park in Viera, FL. The event will include a $3,500 best trick contest, live music and tons of giveaways. vierarideshop.com
• Woodland Park will play host to “Cosmic Invasion 2008” in Lexington, KY. Quiksilver team riders Danny Garcia, Alex Olson, Reese Forbes, Tim O’Connor and David Clark will be on hand. cosmicrocks.com
• Over 10,000 people are expected to go “Wild in the Streets” of New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago and Las Vegas with the Emerica skateboarding team.
• There will be a 1.2 mile street skate session from Ramona Middle School to Utility Board Supply in La Verne, Calif. *Utility Board Supply is also offering a limited edition Go Skateboarding Day deck with $7 of each deck sale going to the Go Skateboarding Day Foundation. utilityboardsupply.com
• Hangout at your local Active Ride Shop and get free Red Bull, prizes from Active and Boosted headphones. Each store is planning something different. activerideshop.com
For more information on GSD events in your area and to see how you can get involved, visit goskateboardingday.org or check with your local skateboard retailer.
The International Association of Skateboard Companies (IASC), a non-profit organization that represents the united voice of the skateboard industry to the outside world, was founded in 1994. With the hiring of current executive director, John Bernards, in 2003, IASC was restructured into the organization that founded Go Skateboarding Day on June 21, 2004. Driven by skate industry leaders, IASC strives to promote skateboarding and increase participation and education of skating. For further information, please visit skateboardiasc.org.
About Go Skateboarding Day
Go Skateboarding Day, held June 21st of every year, is the official holiday of skateboarding. Event locations are disclosed at local skate shops and on www.goskateboardingday.org, where you will also find info on how to create your own event, fundraiser or rally, among other things. While the holiday grows, the mission remains the same: Go skateboarding and have fun!