This year’s AST Dew Tour finally has some drama on the last stop: Ryan Sheckler is clinging to 1st Place, followed closely by lil’ Chaz Ortiz and Paul Rodriguez. We’ll have video updates all weekend, so keep checking back for the results.
AST DEW TOUR ARRIVES IN ORLANDO OCTOBER 16-19 AT AMWAY ARENA
NEW YORK – October 16, 2008 – The AST Dew Tour begins its fifth and final event of the season on Thursday, October 16 with the PlayStation® Pro at Orlando's Amway Arena. The five-city tour also includes stops in Baltimore, Cleveland, Portland and Orlando.
Currently in its fourth year, the AST Dew Tour is the most watched and attended action sports property in the world. Attendance for the 2007 AST Dew Tour totaled 280,000 and an average of 41 million viewers tuned in via NBC and USA each year. The top athletes in the world will take part in this year's Tour, all competing for the highly coveted Dew Cup that will be awarded in Orlando at season's end to champions in each of the six disciplines. The 2007 Dew Cup winners include Nate Adams (Freestyle Motocross), Jamie Bestwick (BMX Vert), Ryan Nyquist (BMX Dirt), Daniel Dhers (BMX Park), Shaun White (Skateboard Vert) and Ryan Sheckler (Skateboard Park).
There are a number of athletes to watch on the fourth season of the AST Dew Tour—both veterans and a few new faces. A list of a few of those athletes to watch in Orlando's Race for the Dew Cup is as follows:
· Current skateboard vert points leader Bucky Lasek (325pts) is looking to reclaim the Dew Cup title he won in '06. The Baltimore-native is in a tight points race with fellow veterans Bob Burnquist (320), Andy Macdonald (310) and Pierre-Luc Gagnon (308). It could be anyone's Dew Cup in Saturday's finals.
· Fourteen-year-old Chaz Ortiz (330) is coming off his first win of the season at the last AST Dew Tour skateboard park finals. The freshman in high school is currently ranked second, and a win in Sunday's finals guarantees this Chicago-native a Dew Cup title on his rookie season
· Skateboard park competitor Ryan Sheckler (338) of San Clemente, Calif. is leading the field by 8 points. Known by fans for his successful MTV reality show "Life of Ryan," the three-time Dew Cup champion is looking for a fourth title, and only a win in Orlando will guarantee that. With Chaz on his tail, and Paul Rodriguez (323) a close third, the battle will be fierce.
· BMX park competitor Daniel Dhers (400) has a monopoly on the competition this season, with a four-event winning streak and his third-consecutive Dew Cup. Friday's finals will decide if Dhers becomes the first athlete in event history to nail a perfect season or if Florida's Mike Spinner (330) can pull a never-before-seen trick such as his quad whip and unseat Dhers.
· Jamie Bestwick (385) holds the lead in BMX vert points standings, but in order to earn his fourth Dew Cup in Friday's finals he will have to put up a fight against Chad Kagy (355) and Simon Tabron (290).
· BMX dirt competitor Cameron White (303) is known for his signature barspin backflip tailwhip, and he may need it in Saturday's finals to fend off fellow Australians Luke Parslow (279) and Corey Bohan (278) in the race for the Cup.
· Two-time, defending Dew Cup champion Nate Adams (140) is looking to put it all on the line for a third title in Orlando. Riding since he was eight, this veteran knows how to keep his cool under pressure and flawlessly execute tricks with precision and consistency.
· Points leader Adam Jones (165) said he likes to keep his runs unique, and it paid off at the last stop in Salt Lake with a win at the Toyota Challenge. Look for a stripper flip and a dead body in his run in Sunday's finals.
· Robbie Madison (145) recently broke the world record with a jump of more than 322 ft on his motorcycle, but he will focus on his freestyle skills at Sunday's FMX competition.
The complete 2008 AST Dew Tour schedule is as follows:
Event Date Location
Panasonic Open June 19-22 Baltimore, Md.—Camden Yards Sports Complex
Right Guard Open July 17-20 Cleveland, OH—North Coast Harbor
Wendy's Invitational Aug. 21-24 Portland, Ore.—Rose Quarter
Toyota Challenge Sept. 11-14 Salt Lake City, UT—EnergySolutions Arena
PlayStation® Pro Oct. 16-19 Orlando, Fla.—Amway Arena
The Action Sports Tour (AST) is the recently created umbrella brand and organization of the world's most prestigious action sports events. Currently the AST consists of two national tours, one international event and an amateur series: AST Dew Tour (debuted in 2005), AST Winter Dew Tour (debuting in 2008), AST China (debuting in 2008), and Free Flow Tour (debuted in 2005). The AST properties are home to over 280,000 spectators each year and broadcast in 100 countries and 280 million homes worldwide. The AST Dew Tour consists of five major, multi-sport events spanning across the country, with a cumulative points system, a $2.5 million competitive purse – the largest in action sports – and an additional $1 million bonus pool. Each event features skateboarding (park and vert), BMX (park, vert, and dirt) and freestyle motocross. At season's end, the overall point's leaders in the six disciplines are crowned year-end champions and awarded the prestigious Dew Cup. Key lifestyle elements at each Tour event include the Festival village, specialty competitions, and live cutting edge music. The AST Dew Tour partners include Mountain Dew (tour title sponsor); and Panasonic, Right Guard Xtreme, Wendy’s, Toyota and PlayStation® (event title sponsors). Associate partners include Ball Park, Mongoose®, Nike 6.0, NowWhat.com and Verizon Wireless. More information can be found at www.ast.com .
NBC Universal is one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. Formed in May 2004 through the combining of NBC and Vivendi Universal Entertainment, NBC Universal owns and operates the No. 1 television network, the fastest-growing Spanish-language network, a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBC Universal is 80%-owned by General Electric, with 20% controlled by Vivendi Universal.
MTV Networks, a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), is one of the world’s leading creators of programming and content across all media platforms. MTV Networks, with more than 150 channels worldwide, owns and operates the following television programming services – MTV: MUSIC TELEVISION, MTV2, VH1, mtvU, NICKELODEON, NICK at NITE, LOGO, COMEDY CENTRAL, TV LAND, SPIKE TV, CMT, NOGGIN, THE N, VH1 CLASSIC, MTVN INTERNATIONAL and THE DIGITAL SUITE FROM MTV NETWORKS, a package of 13 digital services, all of these networks trademarks of MTV Networks. MTV Networks connects with its audiences through its robust consumer products businesses and its more than 300 interactive properties worldwide, including online, broadband, wireless and interactive television services and also has licensing agreements, joint ventures, and syndication deals whereby all of its programming services can be seen worldwide.
# # #