REBATE, Skateboarding Helping Skateboarders.
REBATE IS A COALITION OF SKATEBOARDERS DEDICATED To providing members of the skateboarding family support, encouragement, and financial assistance in times of crisis. REBATE members are able to activate the skateboard industry and community to help take care of one-another using their unique resources.
REABTE, Website is currently in the works but please check our temp site at rebateshs.blogspot.com/
As members of REBATE we like to think of us as off duty firefighters that come together when there is a fire, well we have two fires, so we are sending this email to you because Greg Pino and Johnny Romano need your help.
Greg Pino, Greg is the brother of California Skate parks Project Manager and Master builder, Brian Pino. Brian also skates for the AZPX team. Greg was diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease last October. ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord. Motor neurons reach from the brain to the spinal cord and from the spinal cord to the muscles throughout the body. The progressive degeneration of the motor neurons in ALS eventually leads to their death. When the motor neurons die, the ability of the brain to initiate and control muscle movement is lost. With voluntary muscle action progressively affected, patients in the later stages of the disease may become totally paralyzed.
· Due to the progression of the disease, Greg has been unable to work since last year. 100% of donations received will assist in Greg’s medical and living expenses. For more information on ALS, visit alsa.org.
· Date, Aug 15th the Etnies Lake Forest Skate Park. “Brian Brannon’s Skate Rock Challenge”, which is in fact just a full fun day of legendary Skate Rock bands
· How you can help? Please send product (new or old, signed if possible) /Pictures/art (signed) etc sent to
· Shimrit at Listen
· 1041 west 18th St suite B 103
· Costa Mesa, Ca 92627
· Phone 949 548 2360
· Deadline for Product/Pictures/art August 8th
Greg Pino family have started a fundraiser, The winner gets a trip to Hawaii, please show the family support and send $100, you may win a trip to Hawaii, for more info go to azpx.com/gregpino..htm
Johnny Romano - Words by Jim Thiebaud
This one’s going to be a bit personal. I met Johnny at The Make A Wish event in Houston Texas 3 years ago. He was skating the course early in the morning Saturday when the Make A Wish kids are usually meeting the pros. I think he was 7 then. He was skating the park like a champ and seemed more interested in skating with the guys then talking to them and getting them to sign stuff. Johnny skated the park like he didn’t have a care in the world other than making a good frontside ollie. Truth was though that Johnny was dealing with way more than any of us there. Johnny has Leukemia. He’s 10 now and has been in remission the last few years but recently has had a new outbreak and he’s been in the Children’s Hospital in Houston for the better part of 6 weeks. To say he was touch and go there a few weeks ago would be an understatement – but the kid is fighter through and through and will not ever give up. Even at only 10 years old, Johnny is a true skater. A lifer. He has shown me more courage and motivation then I have ever seen. His parents are amazing (his dad Mike is a skater from way back). If ever there was a young skater who epitomized dedication, desire and the fire in his heart to get out there and roll it’s Johnny.
· Date, Sept 27th 6pm, Galveston skate park located in Menard Park. The address is Seawall and 27Th. Street Demo/Contest/Jam TBD
· How you can help. Please send product/Pictures/art etc sent to
· Kim Cherryhomes
· 5006 Sherman Blvd
· Galveston Island,
· Texas 77551
· Phone 409-739-8470
· Deadline for Product/Pictures/art Sept 19th
· A site put together for people to donate money direct to his family to help offset the enormous medical bills the family is looking at, please show your support and donate today.